As mentioned in the Health Benefits of Broths blog post, if you’ve read the IBD Remission Diet then you know Jini strongly advocates that people drink meat and vegetable broths in between the Absorb Plus shakes on the Diet – mostly due to the amazing health benefits of homemade bone broths, but also to alternate sweet and salty tastes to keep the appetite stimulated!
This and Jini’s other broth recipes are used to make a base, or stock for some of the recipes in the Minimize Gas & Bloating Diet, the Maintenance Diet, and the Reduce Diarrhea Diet booklet.
When you’re limited to only consuming certain ingredients and spices, having a homemade stock can make all the difference to the taste in a recipe! You can also eat these broths on their own, or with pasta, rice, barley and/or vegetables added. Basically, you can get a lot of meal variety from just one broth recipe.
1 kg. (2 lbs) certified organic stewing beef or similar, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
6 cups filtered water
1 tsp salt
- Place beef in a large pot (saucepan). Add water, basil, and oregano. Cover and simmer this on the stove top at a low boil.
- Simmer for two hours, adding water if needed to keep the meat covered at all times – then add 1 tsp. salt and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the contents of the pot into a fine strainer, catching the broth in another pot or bowl underneath.
- If your broth has visible fat in it, skim the fat off first before eating, or put the soup in the fridge until the fat solidifies on the top, and then you can just lift it off easily.
- Allow broth to cool then divide up into 1 or 2 cup servings and freeze in zip-lock plastic bags (or glass containers).
This tastes really good on its own or mixed with vegetable broth – and is a great stock for soups, stews or sauces!
We would love to hear from you if you decide to try this broth recipe. Please feel free to comment and share your experiences below.
If you’d like to share your pictures with us as well, please email us at email@example.com.
In good health!