I want to share this email from a reader because I think his issues and questions are common to anyone with gut issues – whether they have SIBO, IBS, colitis, diverticulitis, etc. His plan is a good one – and as you can see, he has experienced some really good results for several months. He may just be confused or off-track on a few crucial points. Go through the checklist I give him for assessing and treating his SIBO/IBS and see if you’re on track for your own gut condition.
QUESTION from Reader:
I have not been diagnosed with any condition from a medical doctor other than when I went into urgent care this summer for gut pains. I did blood work and x-rays and was told I was FOS (full of shit) but I had been going daily and not constipated by my analysis. After reading your book in the summer and deciding on a plan, I ordered the Natren Tri-pack and oil of oregano. I still had some grapefruit seed extract so I continued with that and started the tri-pack. I did not take the oil yet. After 30 days of the probiotic I switched to one trinity capsule daily and have been on that ever since.
My condition did improve and for a few months I felt normal.
By November my guts started hurting again like in the summer. I was still taking 1 Healthy Trinity/day but had stopped the GSE in September. My BM were still normal with 1/day and no sign of abnormality in the stool. At this point I started adding the oil of oregano daily with 5 drops 3x/day. I did this for about 3 weeks and things were better.
I slowed down to about 5 drops/day for maintenance. Through the last month I have been having a couple days of discomfort in the guts, not as bad as in June or November but still bothersome. Every couple weeks I feel good and than not good. I have started to take 10 drops 3x/day of oil of oregano again, still on the 1 a day trinity and also started Life Start in the last 2 weeks but starting it slow as the first couple of days taking it seems to aggravate my gut more, so I am still on 1/8 teaspoon /day.
I know I still have emotional issues to sort out but they seem based on my health which is like going around and around.
I am thinking I have a bad bug or parasite or a form of IBD or SIBO but not sure. Can I find this out? I realize there are things you can’t comment on…..
- I heard about bentonite clay for gut health and started taking 1/2 teaspoon 2x/day. I seem to be fine with it. Can you comment on this?
- How long can I take the oil of oregano at 30 drops/day? Should I try something else?
Is colloidal silver a good product to take for gut issues?
- Should I increase the Healthy Trinity dosage?
- Could this be ongoing herxheimer reaction?
ANSWER from Jini:
In my opinion, the key things to check or keep in mind in both assessing the status of your gut and formulating a plan for moving forward are:
1. Check the timing of your supplements – make sure you are not taking competing supplements together. So bentonite adsorbs all bacteria (good and bad) and clears it out. Wild oregano, colloidal silver, GSE all kill bacteria (good and bad). So you want to make sure you take your probiotics 2 hours AFTER bentonite and 2 hours away from all anti-microbials.
2. Balance the gut flora – it’s good to kill the nasties, and to flush them out. But you don’t want to leave a vacuum. You must fill the gut with beneficial bacteria at high doses. An easy way to do this – if your condition isn’t severe – is to take your anti-microbial substances during the day and then a high dose of probiotics right before bed (and 2 hours after your last anti-microbial), as per Jini’s Wild Oregano Oil Protocol. If your body tolerates GSE, then you may want to alternate that with wild oregano.