For several years now we have been using DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) – both topically and orally – to treat various human conditions such as hemorrhoids, rectal strictures, and intestinal strictures. There are many treatment protocols available throughout my blog and Shoppe. Simply search “DMSO” and you will find information regarding the above conditions, as well as many others – such as the benefits of DMSO eyedrops for Cataracts, Macular Degeneration, Floaters, and Vision. You can also scroll to the very bottom of the page for all linked DMSO blog posts I have written thus far.
That being said, I want to share with you some basic information about what DMSO is, how it works, some safety considerations for using this powerful, yet hugely beneficial natural substance, and some reader questions we received recently that I would like to address.
What Is DMSO?
DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) – is a natural substance that comes from tree bark and was first discovered by Russian scientist, Dr. Alexander Saytzeff in 1866. Due to its amazing ability to bind with other substances, it was first utilized as a solvent. Then in 1959 it was demonstrated that DMSO could protect red blood cells and other tissues against freezing conditions, so experimentation began with using it to freeze and store organs for transplants.
Then Dr. Stanley Jacob, at the University of Oregon Medical School, discovered that DMSO relieved burn pains and prevented scar tissue formation. He published his results in 1963 – from then on DMSO usage and experimentation spread like wildfire. It follows logically, that a substance that can prevent scar tissue formation, should also be able to soften or dissolve existing scar tissue and in this capacity DMSO also does not disappoint.
Since then, DMSO has been widely used with professional athletes (from football players to Olympic gymnasts) where it has proven effective with injuries to soft tissue or joint defusions; sprains, strains, dislocations, tendonitis, bursitis, gout, soft tissue tears, myositis (muscle inflammation), broken bones, tennis elbow. Pain is relieved, swelling subsides, and function is recovered more quickly.
Today, we have plenty of evidence (from medical doctors and/or PhD scientists) showing that DMSO can also (1):
- Increase or potentiate cell-mediated immunity in auto-immune diseases like multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, lymphoid thryroiditis, etc.
- Make the immune system more effective by allowing macrophages to move around and through the tissues faster. It can also diminish allergic reactions.
- Increase the permeability of cell membranes, allowing toxins to be flushed from the cell.
- Substitute for water in the living cell, then bind to free radicals and form a substance (dimethyl sulfone plus water with the hydroxyl ion) which can then be excreted out of the body via urine.
- Prevent the formation of scar tissue or adhesions, or dissolve them once present.
- Kill or slow the growth of bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Greatly reduce or eliminate inflammation, swelling, and pain.
- Quickly heal skin ulcerations, infected wounds, second and third degree burns and other skin lesions. In a study of 1,371 patients with these varying afflictions who were treated with DMSO, 95.04% were discharged as completely cured. Some of these patients had diabetic leg ulcers, which had been present for over 15 years – they were completely healed after daily topical DMSO spray applications for 20 days. (2)
- Clear cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma of the eyes – you can purchase glutathione/DMSO/vitamin C eye drops from specialist compounding pharmacies.
How is it that one substance can effect or facilitate such a wide range of healing mechanisms? As Dr. Stanley Jacob says:
“We’ve barely scratched the surface, for this is a new principle in medicine. We’ve had only three new principles in our century – the antibiotic principle, the cortisone principle, and now the DMSO principle – and the DMSO principle is the only new one of our generation.
DMSO is literally water’s alter ego. It moves through membranes and substitutes for water so that it pulls substances through cells that ordinarily would not move through them. This is its basic mechanism of action. The DMSO-water bond is 1.3 times stronger than the water-water bond.” (3)
I myself used my HemorrHeal formula (which contains DMSO) to heal internal hemorrhoids I’