In my previous post, where I tell you what I think about where the swine flu virus came from, I also gave you four very effective natural, antiviral substances you can use if you’re concerned about contracting this flu, or, if you’ve already got it (or any other virulent flu). Of those four (hydrogen peroxide, wild oregano oil, chlorine dioxide and potassium iodide), wild oregano oil is the one I have the most personal experience with.
I have used wild oregano oil numerous times to prevent myself from contracting the extremely virulent vomiting flu bugs that sweep through our city about twice per winter. With three children under age nine, they are always bringing these viruses home from school.
As I then get vomited on repeatedly by any or all of the children and am up all night, until the onslaught passes, it’s safe to say my exposure is pretty intense and my resistance is low. However, even though the other adults in my household have come down with the bugs, I have avoided every one by using an intensive wild oregano oil antiviral protocol – because I REALLY, really hate to vomit.
So, I’m going to share with you what I do, that has repeatedly worked so well for me. This protocol uses a commercial brand of wild oregano (like Joy of the Mountains or Oreganol – which is already diluted 3:1) NOT essential oil of oregano.
Jini’s 7-Day Antiviral Wild Oregano Oil Protocol
- Take 5 drops every hour for 24 hours – begin this at the first exposure to the virus or first symptom. If you are sleeping, don’t wake yourself up to take it, but let yourself sleep (which greatly assists your immune system). However, if you get up to go to the bathroom, etc. then take a double dose of 10 drops.
- Then take 10 drops every 3 hours, for 48 hours – again, if you are sleeping, don’t wake yourself up to take it, but let yourself sleep (which greatly assists your immune system). However, if you get up to go to the bathroom, etc. then take a dose of 10 drops.
- Then take 10 drops, 3x/day for the next 2 days – just take the dose during waking hours.
- Take 5 drops, 3x/day for the next 2 days – just take the dose during waking hours.
- Take high dose probiotics for the next 2 weeks to repopulate your gut with good bacteria. Remember that wild oregano oil is antibiotic, as well as antiviral, so after a heavy dosage like this, you MUST balance the bacterial flora in your GI tract by flooding it with good bacteria. If you’re taking the Natren probiotics that I recommend, this means you take 1 tsp of each powder, 3x/day OR 1 Healthy Trinity Capsule, 2x/day. Remember to use the powders if you are having more than 3 bowel movements per day – otherwise the transit time through your GI tract is too fast for the capsules to dissolve properly.
NOTE: Take on an empty stomach for maximum potency, then drink a full glass of water immediately after to dilute in the stomach. This protocol is only suitable for adults. Wild oregano oil is also anti-inflammatory, so should be fine for most people. But, as with any substance, some people will not tolerate it. In that case, use one of the other recommended antivirals.
Here’s The Easiest Way to Ingest Wild Oregano Oil
Dosing For Children: Standard herbalist protocol is to NOT use wild oregano oil for children under age 5. For myself, when my young children were sick, I felt that if I sufficiently diluted the dosage, it was better to give them wild oregano than antibiotics or any other kind of drug. So whilst, I cannot give you any recommendations for your children, I will share the dosing protocol I would use with mine for acute or severe flu bugs:
Babies to age 2: I would dilute the commercial brand (which is not essential oil – it is already diluted 3:1) further with olive oil to make a 7:1 dilution (7 drops organic olive oil to 1 drop commercial wild oregano oil). Then, using this 7:1 dilution, I would apply it to the soles of the feet and the lymph nodes under the jaw and down the sides of the neck. As the breastfeeding mum, I would alternate with taking Astragalus and medicinal mushrooms in my tea (to boost immune system) and high dose Natren probiotics – which then go through to the immune system.
Children aged 2.5 – 4: I would give my kids diluted wild oregano in 7:1 dilution (see above), 10 drops, 2-3x/day. See video for how I got them to swallow it. My 2 year old, would just swallow it straight, quickly, and then chug water. Since it’s a 7:1 dilution, it’s not crazy-hot.
Children aged 5 – 7: I would give my kids the regular commercial wild oregano at this age, 3-5 drops, 3x/day. See video for how they took it. I follow this with Natren probiotics, stirred into yoghurt or mixed in with chocolate milk.
Children aged 8-11: At this age, I give my kids 5-8 drops of regular (commercial, not essential) wild oregano oil, 3x/day. If we want to really hammer it, I give it to them every 3 hours. Of course, I follow this with Natren probiotics, stirred into yoghurt or mixed in with chocolate milk.
CAUTION: I don’t use wild oregano with kids like a drug (crutch). I don’t use it repeatedly, or ongoing. If my kids get more than 1 or 2 flu bugs per year, then wild oregano is not the answer: I need to look at nutrition, toxins in environment, vitamin D levels, probiotic supplementation, immune system strengthening, etc. I also believe it is important for children’s immune systems to practice and build themselves up. So I only use this protocol for severe flu bugs, or, when I really need them to get better quickly. But often I will not give them wild oregano and instead will let their immune system handle it and I give immune-support herbs instead, like Astragalus, elderberry syrup, medicinal mushrooms – twice per day in a bit of warm water or herbal tea.