We had a fantastic teleseminar with Dr. Hal Huggins and MANY crucial questions were answered. We went WAY beyond the classic “mercury is poisonous, root canals promote infection” tenets of holistic dentistry. If you missed it, I strongly urge you to get a handle on this aspect of your health by listening to the teleseminar (or reading the transcript). I’ve made it available to everyone for free on this blog (and please share it with all your friends and family!):
We had some questions come in after the teleseminar, so I sent these to Dr. Huggins and here are his approved responses:
1. Is there a specfic type or brand of butter you recommend? Salted/unsalted? Is it important to eat organic butter?
Organic is definitely preferable because you want to avoid the antibiotics, hormones and toxins present in non-organic milk. Remember, animals are the same as humans in that everything goes through to their breastmilk – which butter is made from 🙂 Raw butter is ideal, if you can get it, since none of the vitamins, enzymes etc. will have been destroyed through pasteurization. Dr. Huggins eats salted butter from New Zealand.
2. What are the most commonly overused vitamins that cause damage?
Calcium, Magnesium oxide, Vit B12 and Chlorella.
3. What are good dental materials (for crowns, onlays) for the chemically sensitive? I can’t find a dentist who gives multiple samples of dental material so that I can test it out in my mouth.
As Dr. Huggins said in the teleseminar, it’s not so much a question of a dental material being categorically good or bad (although of course, some containing substances like nickel, mercury, aluminum, etc can be categorically labelled ‘bad’) but rather: How does that dental material interact with your particular immune system?
And the way Dr. Huggins tests this is with a blood test for compatibility. Blood tests show immune reactivity, not just a saliva mouth reaction. Call Scientific Health Solutions 1-800-331-2303 for a Bio Compatibility Blood Test. You do NOT test different materials in your mouth. For a referral to a dentist trained in Dr. Huggins’ protocols, phone his office:
Dr. Huggins did say that titanium is fine for crowns and he says titanium is also available for removable partial dentures.
4. What is your opinion on ozone therapy for the treatment of dental caries? Is there a safe way to remove dental caries without drilling and without damaging healthy parts of the tooth?
Dr. Huggins says: Ozone for caries treatment, I am not familiar with this.
In my own mouth I would prefer a drill for caries removal, high speed initially, then low speed for final detail.
5. Dr. Huggins talked about having his teeth cleaned and visiting the dentist at very long intervals… He talked about this being possible if a persons chemistry is in balance. But what does he mean by this? Is it different for each person? Is this only a function of having more fat in the diet? (this is what he implied). We also know from the standpoint of nutrition that oils are fats (as opposed to carbohydrates or proteins); but Dr. Huggins makes a big distinction and says or implies that we should all be eating animal fats in the form of butter. But why? How does this relate to the lack of distinction between the general groupings of animal fats and vegetable oils in the nutrition literature?
The main points of what he means by the chemistry being in balance is achieved through:
2. Not using commercial toothpaste to brush your teeth, but rather 70% table salt and 30% baking soda – if you read any of Dr. Gerard Judd’s work, most people eliminate Hygienist Teeth Cleanings just by utilizing this point alone. I know that’s been true for all my family.
3. Blood testing (provided by his clinic – www.drhuggins.com) to determine blood chemistry imbalances and then fixing them using specific supplements in specific forms (also provided by his clinic). This includes safe detox procedures.
4. Removing any harmful dental materials from your mouth – in a Huggins-approved manner/process, by an Alliance-trained dentist (referrals available via his office) – and then replacing them with materials confirmed via blood testing to be compatible with your particular immune system (again, contact his office for the Bio-Compatibility test or a dentist who can oversee the test. The test is done by www.shslab.com).
5. Not doing anything else to produce toxicity or imbalance in your body chemistry (eg. using the right pans to cook with so your food isn’t contaminated, avoiding mercury-containing fish, avoiding toxic skin care products, etc – this aspect is covered in Ch. 4 of Listen To Your Gut).
The complete program to balance body chemistry and descriptions are outlined in the book he talked about on the call – which I later sent an email telling everyone about – called the Client Education Pack – available from his office.
Regarding your questions on fats, again, you will find lots of in-depth info on this at: www.westonaprice.org (click on Site Map and go from there).
6. Regarding fillings for young children – where either too difficult to draw blood, or parents can’t afford it – what would be the composite filling material with the highest likelihood of not doing too much harm?
The composite material that Dr. Huggins would recommend is “Diamond Lite” by DRM Corporation.
For more complete answers to these questions, feel free to call his office directly as his staff are most happy to answer any questions you might have. 1-866-948-4638 or 1-719-522-0566
I myself, just realized, after reading the transcript of the teleseminar that I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted improperly (surprise, surprise, the summer before being diagnosed with Crohn’s). So I’m going to be seeing a Huggins-trained dentist to have these cavitations properly cleaned out – currently they are each a sealed off, protected, cosy home for pathogenic bacteria!