Over the years, hundreds of pregnant or nursing women (with some form of IBD or IBS) have written in asking me what is safe for them to take. Did you know that this topic is covered in great detail in Chapter 9 of Listen to Your Gut? There are 32 pages devoted to it, in fact! So, if you don’t already have it, you can order it HERE in both e-book and hardcover.
Essential Supplements For Pregnant or Breastfeeding Moms
Note: I am going to give links to each product in my LTYG Shoppe, so you can see which brand I recommend and why – but if you don’t like to buy online, just get your local store to order them in for you.
Here are the supplements I believe every mother should take during pregnancy (and ideally for three months prior to conception), for the duration of breastfeeding, and then for at least three months following weaning (to replenish your own body stores and health):
• Nature’s Way Prenatal Multivitamin – this one has everything you need in easily tolerated forms.
• Udo’s Oil (or flax oil) – 1 – 2 tbsp. per day. This will not only nourish baby, but prevent your hair from falling out or thinning after you birth.
• Cod Liver Oil – 6 capsules or 2 tsp per day. Crucial for baby’s brain development and must be from an animal source (like fish), not a vegetable source.
• Bone Matrix – 2 tbsp per day. These are the minerals that are needed for bones and teeth. If you are not getting enough of these minerals, your body will pull them from your own bones and teeth to give them to baby and you will experience a whack of tooth decay! You can mix these in water or juice (they’re tasteless), or just take them straight.
• Minerals Of Life Trace Minerals – 1 tbsp per day. These are all the minerals that used to be in our soil before Agribusiness trashed things. Mix with water or juice (almost tasteless)
• Natren probiotics in powder form (Megadophilus, Bifido Factor, Life Start, Digesta-Lac) or capsules (Healthy Trinity – if you prefer and have no diarrhea or heartburn). If you have heartburn during pregnancy, take the probiotics in powder form, and if your heartburn is severe then see a Craniosacral Therapist to release your diaphragm and esophageal valve. Go to upledger.com and find a therapist in your area that is certified