I’m very picky about my hummus! Perhaps because I lived in an area of London known as ‘little Cyprus’ for a year. At any rate, I tried many variations on hummus recipes before coming up with this one and I tell you the truth: EVERY single person who has tasted this, LOVES it. Even people who’ve said, “Huh, I don’t usually like hummus, but this one is really good.”
I like to keep hummus on hand as it goes so well with whatever salad I want to throw together and fills me up better than just salad greens. I’ll typically use whatever greens and cucumber, tomato I have on hand, add a scoop of hummus, some cashew nuts, some raisins or cranberries and one of my homemade dressings (see the Recipes section on this blog) and YUM! Of course, try to use organic ingredients if you can as that really makes a difference to the flavor.
JINI’S SUPER CREAMY HUMMUS
1 (12 oz) can organic chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini (from roasted seeds)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
5 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
extra virgin, organic olive oil
1. First put the tahini and lemon juice into a blender and blend away until it’s frothy, white, and creamy.*
2. Add minced garlic and blend it into the cream
3. Open the cans of chickpeas, drain, and rinse them off in a strainer using cold water.
4. Blend in chickpeas a little at a time until the cream has thickened, but isn’t too thick and is still pale. Add salt to taste. If it’s too thick, just add some filtered water and blend until the consistency is how you like it – I like mine perfectly smooth and creamy.
5. Scoop the hummus into a bowl, sprinkle parsley and chopped tomatoes on top, and drizzle good olive oil over it. It’s best if served at room temperature or slightly warmer.
*Note: The key to a good, creamy hummus is to emulsify the tahini in a water based liquid (or lemon juice) FIRST. This will NOT happen if you just put everything into a food processor all at once!