Recently I wrote a blog post questioning a ‘health’ product called Adya Clarity that was being promoted heavily ( in the Raw Food community and on Facebook). Unfortunately, when I looked at the patent application for the product, it just didn’t look kosher to me. It was eventually revealed that (among other problems) Adya Clarity contains 1200 ppm of Aluminum (which was not disclosed on the label). So now we have a whole bunch of unsuspecting Adya Clarity consumers who need to detox aluminum (and possibly other metals) from their system!
Cilantro & Chlorophyll Detox
Since most of us would only benefit from detoxifying our bodies of aluminum, lead, mercury, etc. I’m going to share a very easy (and tasty!) way to accomplish this. If you need a very serious detox, then you may want to add infrared saunas, chlorella and spirulina to this detox regimen as well:
1. Upon waking drink 1 tbsp of fresh-squeezed lemon juice in 1 cup of warm/hot water. Remember that lemon juice is acidic in the glass, but becomes alkaline upon ingestion.
2. On an empty stomach (at whichever time of day is convenient for you) take 1 tablespoon of liquid Chlorophyll in a glass of water and then eat 2 teaspoons of the Cilantro Pesto (recipe below). You can eat the cilantro pesto with other foods – on crackers, baked potatoes, etc. – but I feel it will be more powerful if consumed on an empty stomach, at least 10 – 15 minutes before other foods.
3. Magnesium is also a powerful detox agent and a mineral that most people are deficient in. I have done a detailed post on magnesium (types, absorption, etc.) so you can refer to that for lots more info. For our purposes here, take 2-3 tablespoons of the Mini-Minerals (nano-sized) Magnesium per day. Because it absorbs instantly to the bloodstream, it does not require digestion and therefore does not cause diarrhea or loose stools.
Do this regimen for 3 – 4 weeks. If you need a more serious detox, then ALSO take 1-2 teaspoons of Chlorella and 1-2 teaspoons of Spirulina mixed in 8 ounces of liquid, once per day. If you blend these in an Absorb Plus shake or whey protein shake with fruit, it really helps to disguise the taste.
Or, use a ready-made, high quality detox product like Flora’s FlorEssence Gentle Detox Tea – this one is great because it has a very mild taste, is safe even for people with sensitive digestive systems, yet it is very effective. If your system is sensitive, then start out with a lowered dose, or only taking once per day and gradually build up from there. For myself, even taking it only once per day, I could feel a beneficial difference.
Infrared saunas are also excellent for detox and provide many other benefits as well – but don’t do too many if you are underweight, as they usually result in weight loss.
The most delicious way I know of to detox heavy metals is by using cilantro (Chinese parsely). The serious detox capability of this herb has even been documented in PubMed: This study showed that after the removal of amalgam fillings, and despite the use of normal holistic dentistry practices of a rubber dam and proper ventilation & suction, deposits of mercury that were previously non-existent, were found in all the major organs of the body ( lungs, kidneys, endocrine organs, liver, and heart).
The mercury deposits were then successfully removed by ingesting 400mg/day of Chinese parsley, or cilantro, for a period of around 4 weeks. So rather than taking a pill, here’s an easy and yummy way to get that same detox power from cilantro (and other effective detox foods):
Cilantro Chelation Pesto
4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh cilantro [also called coriander] (vitamin A)
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dulse powder [or kelp powder/granules]
2/3 cup flaxseed oil [or Udo’s oil]
Sea salt to taste
1. Process the cilantro, garlic, nuts, seeds, dulse, olive oil and lemon juice in a blender until finely minced.
2. Then add flax oil and a pinch of sea salt and blend on low speed (do not heat flax oil) until the mixture is blended into a paste.
3. Store in the fridge, in dark glass jars if possible. *This pesto freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last throughout the year. The cilantro will begin to get dark green/brown in 4-5 days, so if you want to keep it looking super fresh, then just keep a small supply in the fridge and freeze the rest to use as needed.
Cilantro has been shown to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser. This recipe was originally posted by “Muffet” on my Adya Clarity blog. She says that:
“Two teaspoons of this pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. We can consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. Cilantro is truly a healing food. One friend suffering from high blood pressure due to mercury poisoning had her blood pressure return to normal after eating two teaspoons of this pesto daily for only a week. So whether you need to detoxify heavy metals from your body or just wish to use it as a preventative measure, 2 teaspoons a day is all you need to take. This pesto has now become a regular in my diet. Enjoy!”
I have modified the recipe slightly from what was posted, to include flax or Udo’s oil (I use Udo’s) instead of just olive oil, since you might as well get the added benefits from the Omega-3’s and also the Evening Primrose Oil – if you are using Udo’s.
The pesto is also delicious on baked potatoes, pasta, drizzled over veggies, in sandwiches, or on toast or crackers, and with goat cheese on top.
So even after your detox, you can continue to consume this pesto as part of your normal diet. Four of my friends have tried it and immediately asked for the recipe to go home and make their own! It really is that good. The picture (blurry – sorry!) next to the recipe was taken in my kitchen, so you can see what it looks like.
Changes In Bowel Movements
As you implement this protocol, you may find your bowel movements changing – either becoming looser, or perhaps your stool may get harder. Remember that when you detox, your body has to eliminate the toxins, so it is normal for this to cause changes in bowel function.
If your bowel movements are getting too loose, then cut back on dosages for a while, so the detox goes slower.
If your bowel movements are getting harder to pass, then add Magnesium Citrate to your regimen – start at about 150 mg and increase as needed, up to 1000 mg per day. Also, don’t be surprised if you feel more fatigue, or even other detox symptoms (headaches, rash, nausea, etc.) these usually subside in 7 – 10 days. If you have a symptom that persists longer than this, then seek other treatment, or see your naturopathic doctor.